Sunday, November 25, 2012

Working out could be saving your memory

The article title read, "A workout a day keeps dementia away."  I immediately opened it since my fiancé's grandpa suffers from Alzheimer's and I know his grandma is willing to try anything to make him better.  Obviously, nobody has a cure but, anything could help, right?!  With medicine from the doctor, to putting coconut oil in his coffee every morning, we're all hoping to see some sort of change.  When I saw this article, it made me think to myself, what if working out a few times a week really does help your memory.  I mean in a way, it kind of makes sense to me because exercise is so good for the body.

The study had over 600 participants between the ages 65 and 84 and each of the participants brain showed early warning signs of dementia.  The participants were followed over a period of three years and over that time they had their brains scanned on a regular basis.  They were being assessed on the cognitive ability and how much they exercised.  To read more on the details, you can click here... http://www.naturalnews.com/038075_dementia_prevention_physical_exercise.html, there are other links on there to click as well for more information.

While there is good news, there was bad news too.  Participants that worked out at least 3 times a week lowered their chances of getting dementia by 40% in comparison to those with less activity!  Now to me, that's great news, the exercising was most effective towards vascular dementia, which is a type of non-alzheimer's dementia that is caused by low blood flow to the brain.  The doctors tracked the white matter on the participants brain that is linked to dementia that you can see on MRI scans.  All participants showed changes in white matter at the beginning of the study on many different levels and they were to make sure to take into account other factors but, the protective effects of exercise still held.

The bad news was that, exercise didn't seem to specifically affect  the risk of developing Alzheimer's.  Now, don't get me wrong, I had high hopes when I saw this article that it could make a big difference in grandpas life and I was a little bummed when I saw that it wouldn't really help his case but, it is good to know it can make a difference in others lives.  I mean I know it's a no brainer and everyone should exercise but, to know I'm preventing one more thing that could possibly happen to me when I get older, makes me feel a lot better.

I hope everyone out there takes their health as serious as I do.  Our body is very sacred and it's so important to keep it pure.  Exercise, sunshine and eating right are three major things people need to stay healthy and they're very easy to do.  If you need guidance or ever have questions, make sure to ask your doctor, you could be saving a few years to your life!  All in all though, I really hope we can find a cure for this horrible disease that affects so many people in our country today.  It happens to the best of us and those wonderful people we love and it's so disturbing to have to sit there and not be able to do much about it.  To those who have loved ones suffering, stay strong, I applaud you for being there and being supportive to that person who is suffering!  Good things are coming your way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment